WHY should we Think Bigger? And HOW do we Think Bigger? The first thing I saw when I started to read this week’s lesson of the Master Key System was to Think Big Thoughts:
One of the secrets of success, one of the methods of organizing victory, one of the accomplishments of the Master Mind is to think big thoughts. 21:Introduction
I know that I have often been guilty of thinking too small. Having small goals can be misleading. When you achieve a small goal and feel good about it, you may not be motivated to go for more. If you remain satisfied with a little, how will you develop to your true potential? While I believe that it is good to be proud of the steps we have taken, it is also necessary to feel the need to work for more.
What else does Haanel say about How or Why to Think Bigger? Last week we learned that consciousness of power is needed to be able to utilize that power. He expands on that in this part:
The Universal Mind is unconditional; therefore, the more conscious we become of our unity with this mind, the less conscious we shall become of conditions and limitations, and as we become emancipated or freed from conditions we come into a realization of the unconditional. We have become free! 21:1
Do not hesitate to aspire to the highest possible attainments in anything you may undertake, for the mind forces are ever ready to lend themselves to a purposeful will in the effort to crystallize its highest aspirations into acts, accomplishments, and events. 21:17
So, for example, if I want to be an author, I should aspire to be a Best Selling Author, not just one who gives my books to friends as gifts.
Why to Think Bigger
I would say Charles Haanel was a Big Thinker! Let’s explore some reasons WHY you should become a Big Thinker:
- When you Think Bigger, your excuses become smaller. Haanel says it like this: “Large ideas have a tendency to eliminate all smaller ideas so that it is well to hold ideas large enough to counteract and destroy all small or undesirable tendencies. This will remove innumerable petty and annoying obstacles from your path.” (21:7) I have also heard it said that a Big Why overcomes many small why-nots. Or excuses.
- When you Think Bigger, you can help more people. Consequently, you are helping the world to evolve. Wallace Wattles states: “If you neglect this study, you are derelict in your duty to yourself, to God and humanity, for you can render to God and humanity no greater service that to make the most of yourself.” Wallace Wattles, The Science of Getting Rich
- Be an example to others. I love it when someone looks at something I have done, and thinks: “If she can do it, so can I.”
- If you have watched any Spiderman movies, you know that “with great power comes great responsibility.” Could it be our responsibility to help evolve the world, now that we know about this power? I believe so! A fellow MKE guide wrote this blog about our obligation to share.
How to Think Bigger
Now, let’s explore some ideas to help you to Think Bigger:
- Remember, it all starts with the thought. Go to the silence (our Sit), hand it over to a higher power: “This is one of the secrets of success, one of the methods of organizing victory, one of the accomplishments of the Master-Mind. He thinks big thoughts. The creative energies of mind find no more difficulty in handling large situations, than small ones. Mind is just as much present in the Infinitely large as in the Infinitely small.” (21:7) “Silent thought concentration is therefore the true method of reaching, awakening, and then expressing the wonderful potential power of the world within.” (21:28)
- Visualize it! “It is, however, no easy matter to change the mental attitude, but by persistent effort it may be accomplished; the mental attitude is patterned after the mental pictures which have been photographed on the brain; if you do not like the pictures, destroy the negatives and create new pictures; this is the art of visualization. As soon as you have done this you will begin to attract new things, and the new things will correspond to the new pictures. To do this: impress on the mind a perfect picture of the desire which you wish to have objectified and continue to hold the picture in mind until results are obtained.” (21:14-15)
- And visualize the skills you need to have in order to reach your goals. “If the desire is one which requires determination, ability, talent, courage, power or any other spiritual power, these are necessary essentials for your picture; build them in; they are the vital part of the picture; they are the feeling which combines with thought and creates the irresistible magnetic power which draws the things you require to you. They give your picture life, and life means growth, and as soon as it beings to grow, the result is practically assured.” (21:16)
- Step up your game! Think of your previous achievements. Good for you! Now, what more can you do? Add to those accomplishments. You can do it!
- I learned a technique called ‘Bull’s Eye Goal Setting’ quite a while ago. It’s a great tool when you are feeling resistant to Thinking Bigger. Picture a dartboard. The centre is the Bull’s Eye. That is your ideal goal – what happens when everything happens exactly the way that you want. The next ring out is a great goal too, but maybe not quite as big. And the outer ring is still a stretch for you, but not the ideal. The great news is that any achievement on this dartboard is good, but aiming for the centre is possible – especially using the techniques you have learned in the Master Key Experience.
- Do everything you can in the best way that you can do it. Mother Teresa said: “You can do no great things, only small things with great love.” And Michelangelo said: “Perfection is no small thing. But it is made up of small things.”
And one final quote to sum up the Thinking Bigger conversation:
The Divine Mind makes no exceptions to favor any individual; but when the individual understands and realizes his Unity with the Universal principle he will appear to be favored because he will have found the source of all health, all wealth, and all power. 21:27
That’s my take on Why and How to Think Bigger! How can you apply that in your life? Want to learn more about the Master Key Experience? Check it out here.
And, if you read my blog post last week, you should remember the Train of Causation. If not, you might want to review. Well, based on the lesson this week, I had to expand on my little cycle.